Feb 29, 2008

Lagom and my husband

I like to watch the TV show "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain (a chef) who travels to different places and eats all their weird foods. He likes weird food, and while I don't really like Tony as person that much I do enjoy watching the places he goes to and the foods they eat. Food is a big draw for me when traveling. Anyway I was watching the one about Sweden and he meets up with these two hardcore male skiers who knit hats on their free time! They even say it's become sort of a "side business." It's so weird and they describe the meaning of the Swedish word "Lagom" which does not exist in any other language. My husband is of much Swedish ancestry (from MN big surprise) and some people are put off when they first meet him because he doesn't talk much, he's calm most of the time, and does like adventure as well. I think this lagom stuff has really helped me make sense of my husband in more ways than one.... Then late Tony goes off to make a handblown glass but they don't show the whole thing. While Anthony may not enjoy the knitting and glassblowing parts of his travel I really did and thought I would share a clip for you all  
Also wanted to share this WONDERFUL recipe a HotDish MN friend of mine, Jenny, emailed me this week. I tried it last night and it's awesome. I've had sweet potato soup before, but not like this. The garnishes are absolutely perfect mixed with it and I never would have thought chopped apples or mint would be so good with sweet potato. I think the hubby and I have a new favorite to add to the soup rotation!  
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Curried Apples 
  1 tsp olive oil  
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes  
1 medium onion, halved and sliced  
course salt and pepper  
1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced  
2 jalapeno peppers, peppers, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced  
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped 
1/2 cup sherry 
 4 cups vegetable broth  
2 tsp white-wine vinegar  
1 tsp honey  
1/4 tsp curry powder  
1 small tart apple, cored & finely chopped  
1/4 cup plain yogurt  
2 tbsp chopped mint, for garnish  

1.Preheat oven to 400 Roast potatoes for 1 hour, turning once. When cool enough to handle, scoop cooked potatoes out of skins. Discard skins(your earth friendly self might add them to your compost collection).  
2. Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, heat oil over med. heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add bell pepper, jalapenos, and garlic; cook for 5 min. Add sherry, sweet pot., and broth; stir to combine. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.  
3. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender (i used my immersion blender for this step). Combine batches in a clean pot. The soup should be thick. (If you prefer thinner soup, add water or broth) Taste and adjust seasoning. 
4. In a small saucepan over med. heat, bring vinegar, honey, and curry powder to a boil. Add apple; stir for one min. and remove from heat. To serve, ladle the soup into warm bowls, add a spoonful of apples, a spoonful of yogurt, and a sprinkle of mint, and think of your Minnesotan friend Jenny while you enjoy this savory sweet potato soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment