Mar 27, 2008

The Perfect bloody Mary and Breakfast are Not Difficult To Perfect

I didn’t mention this before, but a couple weeks ago Jarrod had to go to Vegas for a business thing for a whole week.So I was home alone and I went to the grocery store to buy a bunch of food that he doesn’t like to eat so I could be master chef of my domain while he was gone. I made all kinds of splendid foods that I celebrated with wine and southpark all alone to myself! On my days off I discovered a heavenly breakfast dish. It’s main ingredient is broccoli raab, or rapini whichever you prefer. So if you like greens like kale, chard or mustard then you will probably like broccoli raab (http://http//whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/BroccoliRaab.htm )because it’s similar and can be cooked the same ways. When Jarrod got back we decided to spend the weekend lazing about the house and I made a beautiful breakfast and we had bloody mary’s. We have them at home because no one around here makes good breakfast AND bloody mary’s in the same place- it’s either one or other. When I think of this drink I am reminded of the olden days in MN when my friends and I would go to Sydneys and create our own bloody mary’s at their bloody bars. I’ve been told there is no Sydneys anymore, or bloody mary bars. Which is a shame I tell you. If you have many friends, this is a great way to have a lazy weekend brunch at your house. Set up a huge bloody mary bar with all the fixins- vodka, ice, bloody mary mix, spicy bloody mary mix, variety of hot sauce(I like franks), fresh celery stalks and a smorgasboard of every pickled thing you can think of. Because that giant skewer of pickled things is what MAKES the drink! You cannot skip that part. By making it a DIY bar though people can pick and choose what they like. I like pickled green beans, pickles, green olives, celery, pickled asparagus, pickled jalepeno, and my husband likes pickled onions (yuck!). Don’t forget kosher salt in a dish for the rim! So I am sharing with you one of the most beautiful breakfasts, and a pic of MY perfect bloodAy Mary. Pay no attention to the window in the background, as you can see, neither of us like doing windows. Ever.
I only use 2tsp of olive oil 1 for cooking and 1 for drizzle. It really doesn’t need more than that. I added a little garlic to the broccoli raab because I like it together. I thought I would need two eggs, but it was so filling and satisfying I didn’t need the other egg. Also it was difficult to tell how done the eggs were in the pot, if you are particular about the yolk I suggest frying in pam on the side. this is YUMMY. 

~Cialledda~
A web-exclusive recipe from Italian Cooking and Living
  • 1 1/4 pound broccoli raab, washed and trimmed pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 9 cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
  • 1/4 pound pitted black olives (i used kalamata)
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 slices day-old bread
Pour 4 cups of salted water in a large pot; add salt and bring to a boil. Cook the broccoli raab for 15 minutes, or until tender. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the tomatoes, and the olives. Break the eggs, one by one, in a small bowl and gently pour each one into the simmering pot. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Place a slice of bread at the bottom of each of 4 terra-cotta serving bowls. Distribute the vegetables and eggs over the bread, making sure that each slice has its own egg. Serve hot, drizzling the remaining olive oil over the top of each serving. 
Serves 4 Copyright © 2006, Italian Cooking and Living. All rights reserved.  

Also when Jarrod got back he couldn't stop talking about how awful the place was. Just a big WASTE of electricity, resources, a bunch of annoying people, and the place was permeated with cigarette smoke. Neither of us has ever wanted to go there but now he will for work at least once a year I guess. Lame!

No comments:

Post a Comment